In October, 2016 I built this deck for a couple in Ipswich. They had a sliding door installed the previous year in the family room, but it took a while for them to go through the permitting process. With the weather beginning to turn, the owner and I dug the Sonotube holes on a rainy Sunday morning. Tim Gillette of Olde new England Properties assisted me with the pressure-treated framing and installing the decking.
In all my deck jobs I build to the guidelines of the DCA 6 – Prescriptive Residential Deck Construction Guide. The front railing posts are extended to 6′ for a privacy screen, bird feeders or hanging plants.
Materials for this job
- 2×8 pressure treated joists
- triple 2×12 pressure treated support beam
- 6×6 pressure treated support posts
- LedgerLOK Ledger Board Fasteners
- Simpson Strong 6 by 6 Adjustable Post Base, joist hangers and other connectors
- Fiberon Paramount PVC decking
- Tiger Claw TC-G Hidden deck fasteners for grooved boards
- Tibertech Cortex screws and plug system for the edges and stair treads.
- Royal S4S PVC trimboards for the deck skirt and risers
- Simpson Strong-Tie S07225FTB – 7 x 2-1/4″ – 3000 pc. Bulk Pail – Stainless Steel Trim Head Finishing Screws
- PVC post sleeves over 4×4 pressure treated posts
- Deck-O-Rail pressure-treated railing kit with black aluminum balusters, and painted with Weatherall Ultra Premium exterior latex house paint